2/27/2012

Turkish Red Lentil Soup


Number one pantry must have - Red Lentils, the hottest trendy food at the moment, often appear on the cover of the earthy hip magazines. It's commonly seen in Middle Eastern, Mediterranean and Indian restaurants. This traditional Turkish dish was completely alien to me, my first introduction came when we were living in Thailand many years ago, I became an instant fan.

Ingredients: diced onions, garlic, salt, white pepper and cumin. It is SO easy and authentic. No wonder the Ottoman Empire ruled Europe and Asia for centuries, they really got this figured out.

A cup of lentils contain high protein, fiber, iron, low fat,
and potassium = great for vegetarian and vegan

I like red lentils the best because they cook
down fast and have a softer, creamier texture

Nailed it! This has become one of my signature dishes, it constantly receives complements from friends, family, and even a thumbs up at my husband's company potluck. (blush)

Lastly, my friends, take this advise, top with rough cut parsley and a generous squeeze of lime (or lemon). These simple additions bring the soup alive to the next astonishing level.

What's your signature dish? I'd love to hear.

1 comment: