3/06/2012

Pineapple Salsa

 

We lived in Thailand years ago and one of my favorite things was to buy fresh pineapple from street vendors. They are grown natively and you can get an entire fruit pealed and chopped for about $.50. Dry or unripened pineapple is an impossibility and unheard of. They are juicy, sweet ripe and readily available year round.

Where I come from (Taiwan, not China or Korea), pineapple has never been considered a sophisticated fruit. Perhaps it looks unattractive and challenging to prepare, or that with mass production and easy accessibility, the value of exclusivity immediately vanishes. The chase game is over.

In North America, pineapple = Hawaii = Mai Tai = Beach Vacay = Canned with HFC. Regardless I'm a sucker for pineapple.

Here is how I make my kick-ass pineapple salsa. All you need is FRESH pineapple, jalapeno and serrano pepper, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and black pepper. You can add a few more serrano peppers to bring up the heat if desired. Dice, mix, done. Serve with chips, as a taco or other white meat topper.



I've been thinking of Thailand a lot lately. It's combination of A) my first dog Nova who I rescued in Thailand just turned eight years old, B) swimsuits have just hit the stores, C) the beach is callin'.

Note: recipe adapted from my husband's coworker Z. Props!

1 comment:

  1. nice! this is one of my faves, goes great with a lot of different things. :)

    -Z

    ReplyDelete